Section 7031.5, California Business and Professional Code, states that only properly licensed individuals or individuals specifically exempt (Section 7044) from the provisions of the Contractors State License Law shall be allowed to pull a permit for work regulated by our construction codes.
I. Those eligible to pull a Building Permit:
A. Any properly licensed State Contractor licensed under the provisions of Chapter 9, Division 3, Business and Professional Code, provided that he or she has:
1. A valid State Contractors License
2. A current City Business License
B. Any Owner of a residential or commercial property on which the project is proposed provided that he or she signs and marks the declaration on the permit stating:
1. Owner doing own work or having employees with wages as sole compensation do the work and that the structure is not intended to be offered for sale.*
*Note: If owner decides to sell the property he or she must have resided on the premises for one year after completion of the project, prior to such sale. He or she can improve only two such buildings in any three years period.
2. As owner of the property, he/she will contract with only licensed contractor to do the work involved.
II. Worker’s Compensation Certificate Requirements
Prior to issuance of any permit, a valid certificate of Worker’s Compensation Insurance must be filed with the City Building Department or a Certificate of consent of self-insure issued by the Director of Industrial Relations.
Exempted from Worker’s Compensation Certificate:
1. Permits for work valued at $200 or less.
2. The applicant for a permit who signs a certificate which reads as follows:
“I certify that in the performance of the work for which this permit is issued I shall not employ any person in any manner so as to become subject to the workmen’s compensation laws of California.”
In the absence of the owner or the licensed contractor, a representative of either such owner or contractor may be eligible to pull a permit upon submittal of an authorization letter signed by the owner or the contractor to pull such permit provided that all other provisions stated herein are complied with in full.