Redondo Beach's 50th Landmark, 309 N. Francisca Ave! In July 2003, Redondo's 50th Landmark was approved. This Craftsman house, built in 1922 by George W. and Emma A. Pollock, includes a pitched hipped roof with central hipped dormer. This type craftsman houses account for less than 10 percent of Craftsman houses. Historic Preservation Ordinance Update
The City of Redondo Beach is updating its Historic Preservation Ordinance(Chapter 10, Title 4 of the Municipal Code). Since its adoption in 1989, more than 45 individual structures and landscapes, and one Landmark District have been designated historic landmarks under the voluntary ordinance.
Preserving and recognizing Redondo Beach's rich history is one way of appreciating the high quality of life found here. The Hotel Redondo, historic downtown and busy Redondo Red Car line are no longer here. Some of the beautiful homes and shops of the Original Townsite, Vincent Park, and Clifton-by-the-Sea (the Avenues), among others, are key parts of the City's rich history that many of its residents are not aware of. These special structures are worthy of preservation.
The purpose of the ordinance update is to fine-tune the regulations, to make it easier to designate historic districts, clarify the types of modifications that can be made to historic structures in keeping with their original architectural design, preserve the character of our special neighborhoods, and provide means to more carefully evaluate historic structures scheduled for modification and demolition.
On Wednesday April 2, 2003, the Preservation Commission met in the City Council Chambers to begin discussing the update of the Historic Preservation Ordinance. A range of possible policy directions are under consideration. Your participation would ensure that the ordinance is revised to reflect the community's desire to balance historic and neighborhood preservation with the ability to modify and build homes to accommodate today's lifestyles. The first full draft of the ordinance update was presented to the Commission at the June 2003 Meeting.
If you would like to submit comments on this project, please participate at the workshop, submit comments, add your name and email to the mailing list. Contact Alex Plascencia, Special Projects Planner, City of Redondo Beach, 415 Diamond Street, Redondo Beach, CA 90277, 310.372.1171 x2405, Alex.Plascencia@redondo.org
Vincent Park now City Landmark The City Council approved Vincent Park for Landmark designation. Vincent Park dates back to 1887, when the original townsite was designed by William Hammond Hall, who was also California State Engineer and who also designed Golden Gate Park. The lamp-shaped design of the Park and surrounding streets is in the spirit of the Chautauqua movement. (Many years ago the stretch of Pacific Coast Highway in Redondo was named Chautauqua.) 233 South Francisca Avenue Landmarking The Preservation Commission approved Redondo's the landmarking of the home located at 233 South Francisca Avenue. Constructed in 1911, the architectural style of the home is Craftsman design.
This property is representative of the early period of growth and development in Redondo Beach. Congratulations and thanks to Alan and Sharon Day for preserving this home. Commission Agendas and Minutes Online Commission Meetings are typically held at 7:00 P.M. the first Wednesday of each month, in the Redondo Beach Council Chambers, 415 Diamond Street. Meetings are broadcast live on Channel 8 to Time Warner cable subscribers in Redondo Beach. Click to view agendas and minutes.
Participate in our public opinion poll and view others' comments regarding the future of the Millie Reira's Seafood Grotto Sign! Click Here The Commission is involved in the resolution of a controversial topic, whether the City should restore and/or designate the 1948 neon Millie Riera's restaurant sign located at the corner of Pacific Coast Highway and Avenue I. We welcome you input, by sending us e-mail, correspondence, and attending our Meetings and speaking as part of the public forum.
Updated Survey for South Redondo The State of California selected Redondo Beach for a preservation grant that will allow an update of the 1986 Survey of South Redondo. The finished product is nearly completed.
Veterans Park Bandshell Mural
In April 2001 Redondo Beach celebrated the completion of a panoramic mural on the Veterans Park Bandshell. The mural, depicting historical Redondo beach scenes including the Hotel Redondo, is featured on our Murals Page that also highlights other Redondo murals.
Hotel Redondo Grand Staircase
Did you know there are a few structures still existing from the Hotel Redondo? One is a grand staircase located at the southwest corner of Veterans Park. Check back for an upcoming new webpage with details about the possible restoration of this historical structure.
Preservation Program Wins Award
Earthlink Corporation has selected the City of Redondo Beach Preservation Program Website as a winner in their Homepage design contest. (More info on their November 2000 awards page)
Los Angeles County Public Library Community History Pages With funding from the Library Services and Technology Act administered by the California State Library, the County of Los Angeles Public Library has created local history Web sites. The sites provide information on Native Americans who lived in the area in prehistoric times, local missions and the early history of the community as well as other historical topics. They also contain images of historic community photographs and other documents, and links and citations to additional community history resources. Los Angeles & Redondo Railway Info The Electric Railway Historical Association of Southern California has information on their website regarding the Los Angeles & Redondo Railway , which entered south Redondo through a tunnel under Prospect Avenue at Del Amo, ran down Diamond Street to the Pier.
Preservation Plan The purpose of our Preservation Plan is to provide a proactive means of planning for the continued protection of our community's character and heritage. Anyone who is interested in participating in the meetings to implement this plan should contact their Council Member, or Planning Department staff Liaison Alex Plascencia at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Commission Activities Redondo Beach's most recent designated historic Landmarks as approved by the Preservation Commission:
412 S Camino Real, American Legion Clubhouse, 1927 [11/00]
511 Garnet Street, Wolfsberg House, 1913, [4/01]
208 S Guadalupe Av, Langworthy House, 1911, [11/01]
629 S Broadway, Ebnet House, 1922, [11/01]
412 Pearl Street, Newlywed House, 1923, [12/01]
511 N. Guadalupe Av, Original Townsite Historic District, 1921 [12/01]