Are fireworks allowed in the City of Redondo Beach?
All fireworks, including so-called "Safe & Sane" fireworks, are illegal in Redondo Beach. Violators will be prosecuted and the fireworks confiscated as evidence for prosecution. (Please refer to R.B.M.C. Chapter 4, Section 3-4.105)

The City sponsors an annual public fireworks display for 4th of July. The fireworks are launched from a barge located in the harbor and can be viewed from the shore and pier areas.
Do I need a permit to burn candles in a public place or building?
Yes.  A simple, yet detailed, plot plan as to where the candles will be located within the room will be required.  If the candles will be part of a table "centerpiece" you will need to bring an exact  sample of the centerpiece for Fire Department inspection and/or approval. 

The cost for the permit is $169.00 and the permit may be applied for at:
Fire Station #1 - 401 S. Broadway @ Pearl Street
Office hours are 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and alternating Fridays.

Please call (310) 318-0663 x4338 to schedule the permit.
How can I protect the outside of my home ?
Homeowners should prepare to do a thorough property inspection.  Look for sources of fire ignition and get rid of them.  For example: dried clippings from trees and/or bushes; old fire wood or lumber; dry grass or weeds; old newspaper and magazines; tree branches that extend from or onto your property; rags that have chemicals or gas or oils on them. Overloaded electrical outlets should also be eliminated. Careful consideration should be taken when disposing of these items.

Consider purchasing fire extinguishers rated at 2A/10BC and position them in areas within and outside of the house.

Also, during this inspection, make sure the batteries have been changed in all smoke detectors located within the home.
How do I apply for a Firefighter position with the City of Redondo Beach ?

Job announcements for the position of Firefighter as well as all other positions in the City are published in most media publications with applications available from the City of Redondo Beach Human Resources Department.

You may also call the City of Redondo Beach Job Hotline at (310) 318-0660.

415 Diamond St.
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Phone: (310) 318-0659

How do I apply for a Hydrant Use Permit?
Hydrant Use Permits can be obtained at Fire Station #1, located at 401 S. Broadway between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and alternating Fridays.

The fee for the permit is $169.00.

Please call (310) 318-0663 x4338 to schedule the permit.

Please provide the following information when applying:

  1. Company name, address and phone number
  2. Contact person name and phone number (if different)
  3. Amount of time needed for permit
  4. Location of the hydrant(s) to be used
  5. If more than one hydrant is to be used, please state that you'll need the permit for various locations in Redondo Beach.
The hydrant meter is supplied by California Water Service Company, please contact them at (310) 257-1400 for more information.
How do I become a CERT Volunteer?
CERT is the acronym for the Community Emergency Response Team training program, which is taught by fire department personnel.  Topics covered are Disaster Preparedness, CPR and First Aid, Disaster Medical Operations, Light Search & Rescue Operations, Disaster Psychology and Team Organization. 

CERT training is designed to prepare you to help yourself, your family, and your neighbors in the event of a catastrophic disaster.  Upon completion of the program, participants can become registered as a disaster service worker.  Each new volunteer will receive a CERT hard hat, identification card, manual and a graduation certificate.

For more information about (C.E.R.T.)
How do I obtain a copy of a fire incident, investigation or paramedic report?
Fire incident, investigation or paramedic reports can be obtained from Fire Administration approximately 72 hours after the incident. Please note that a fire investigation report may take longer due to processes that are necessary to properly identify the exact cause of the fire.

Any paramedic (EMS) response report will only be released to the patient, parent or legal guardian (with proper identification) or by subpoena. These must be provided at time of request.

All reports are subject to an administrative processing fee which is payable prior to the release of any report.

Cost for reports are as follows:
Fire *Incident Report: $71.00
Fire *Investigation Report: $154.00
Paramedic (or EMS) Report: $71.00

*  Any mail requests for fire incident or investigation reports/photos must include a check payable to City of Redondo Beach and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. 

401 S. Broadway (at Pearl Street)
Redondo Beach, CA

Phone: (310) 318-0663
Fax: (310) 376-3407
Please call ahead to schedule pick up of report.
If I remodel or rebuild my home, am I required to install automatic fire sprinklers and alarms?
For purposes of clarification, the fire sprinkler requirements apply to those buildings undergoing remodel/tenant improvements under the following conditions:

1.  Additions exceeding 750 square feet
2.  Addition of a second floor or room above ground level
3.  Additions where combined area on all floors and  mezzanines exceed 750 square feet
4.  Change of occupancy classification to an assembly use occupancy
 (A-1 through A-5 classification, CFC 2010), or classification change of any other occupancy exceeding 750 square feet.
Further information can be obtained by calling: 310-318-0663 Ext. 4373.
Is a permit required for a temporary cooking pit in my backyard?

Yes.  A simple, yet detailed, plot plan as to where the pit will be located in the backyard will be required.  You must include the location of the water hose or fire extinguisher.  The permit fee is $169 and can be obtained at:

Fire Station #1
401 S. Broadway (at Pearl Street)
Redondo Beach, CA 90277

Please call (310) 318-0663 x4338 to schedule the permit.

Office hours are 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and alternating Fridays.

Is it possible to have access to the Fire Roads in Redondo Beach?

Public access to the fire roads is not allowed. 

If you have any questions regarding access, please contact the Fire Marshal at (310) 318-0663 ext. 4346.

There is a large swarm of bees on my property; what do I do?

If the bees are posing an immediate threat or there is a multiple bee sting emergency, call 9-1-1 and provide your name, phone number and the location of the bees.  Please remain on the line until you are released by the dispatch operator.

If the bees are not presenting an immediate threat, do not disturb them.  Call a pest control company located in the yellow pages. 

Because most bee swarm situations occur on private property, the bees must be removed by an experienced bee handler or licensed pest controller hired by the property owner.

If the bees are on City property, City staff will remove them as soon as they are notified.

What are the requirements for a fumigation company to conduct business in Redondo Beach?

First, a Redondo Beach business license must be acquired by the fumigation company whether their business in the City will be conducted on a one time or continuous basis.

Second, the fumigation company must notify the Fire department at least two (2) days prior to the fumigation date by FAX (310) 376-3407 (on company letterhead), of the address, date and time of fumigation and the type(s) of chemical and/or gas that will be used.

What are the requirements for a tent company to conduct business in Redondo Beach?

The tent company must acquire a Redondo Beach business license whether they will be conducting business on a one time or continuous basis.  Please contact the Business License Department at (310) 318-0603 in City Hall.

Tents or canopies larger than 144 square feet must be flame retardant and carry a California State Fire Marshal's seal.

Any tent over 400 ft2  or 10'x10' (easy ups) more than 7 in a row will require a Tent Permit from the Fire Department. A detailed plot plan of where the tent or air-supported structure will be located on the property will also need to be submitted to the Fire Department. Location of exit signs, fire extinguishers, no smoking signs and proof of flame retardant for all decorations (if any) within the structure must also be included in the plot plan. Tent permits may be applied for at Fire Station #1, located at 401 S. Broadway between 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday alternating Fridays. Please call (310) 318-0663 x4338 to schedule permit. The fee for a Tent Permit is $169.00.

Tents or air-supported structures 5,000 square feet or greater will require a Temporary Use Permit from the Planning Department.  For additional information or requirements on structures of this size, please contact the Planning Department at (310) 318-0637 in City Hall.

What is the Filming Policy for Redondo Beach?
Filming Permits Policy Web Page


The City of Redondo Beach welcomes inquiries from responsible producers and location managers in the film and television industries. We have in Redondo Beach a myriad of location possibilities, including the beautiful King Harbor and the Redondo Beach Pier. To ensure that the filming of movies, television programs, commercials and special events does not unnecessarily disturb the residents or businesses in this community, the City of Redondo Beach has adopted a Policy Statement containing the rules and procedures all film companies must follow. The City reserves the right to revoke filming privileges if these policies are violated. REDONDO BEACH RULES AND PROCEDURES

  1. All film companies must submit online applications to the Redondo Beach Fire Department's, Deputy Fire Marshal (310-318-0663 ext. 4338) or on-duty Fire Division Chief in advance of the commencement of any filming. Upon review and approval applicants will then be subject to obtaining a permit issued through the City Business License Department located at City Hall (415 Diamond Street). Film permits require at least five (5) business days to process. Please note City Hall closed alternate Fridays and Holidays.
  2. The business license application and filming permit form must be completely and accurately filled out. Any omissions may result in delays and perhaps in additional expense. Any changes to the location, time or the character of scenes described in the permit application must be provided to the appropriate City departments (generally Financial Services, Police, Fire and Harbor) at least 24 hours in advance. Failure to advise the City of such material changes may result in the revocation of the permit.
  3. A maximum of ten (10) filming days per residential location (exclusive of City owned properties) is allowed during a 365-day period, with the 365 day period commencing on the first day of shooting. Commercial areas of City owned properties that border residential areas may be considered "residential in nature" if, in the opinion of the City the nature of the proposed film, the size of the filming crew and the location of the filming relative to the area could have a negative impact on the residential section. Filming days may be construed to include preparation, strike and rehearsal days if, in the opinion of the City (to be provided at the time of permit review), these days have a significant impact on the adjacent neighborhood. In the event additional days are requested by any production company, permits for additional filming days may be granted at the discretion of the City. In reviewing requests for permit extensions, consideration will be given to the nature and number of any complaints received as a result of prior filming activity.
  4. All film companies must obtain and maintain an insurance policy having a minimum coverage at all times of $1 million General Liability and $1 million for property coverage. Said insurance policies shall name the City of Redondo Beach and their officers, employees, elected officials and members of boards or commissions as additional insured. Said insurance shall apply as primary insurance and no other insurance maintained by the additional insured will be called upon to contribute with insurance provided by this policy. The policy must state, "will give the City of Redondo Beach 30 days advance written notice of any changes in coverage or cancellation." The Redondo Beach Risk Management Office must approve any exceptions to the above requirements.
  5. The Film Company must reimburse any and all costs incurred by the City. Typical costs may include personnel services rendered by the Police, Fire, Harbor and Public Works Maintenance Departments. In most cases, such costs are estimated prior to the shoot and are due and payable prior to issuance of the filming permit, in addition to the daily business license fee. Failure to reimburse the City within 30 days of the receipt of the invoice for additional expenses may result in the denial of future filming rights.
  6. All Federal, State, County and local laws and ordinances must be obeyed by the cast and crew of the Film Company and by any independent contractor(s) retained by the Film Company. The film company shall be responsible for the business license fee, plus penalties, if any service providers (e.g. catering service, auxiliary power providers, vehicle rental services) fail to obtain a Redondo Beach Business License.
  7. A Notice of Intent To Film must be completed and delivered to all affected residents and businesses within a 200 foot radius of every filming site not less than 72 hours prior to the arrival of the production company equipment. At the discretion of the City, the notice requirement can be reduced to 24 hours for small, one day shoots (e.g. commercial advertising.) The notice must contain the name of the Production Company and the production manager's and/or location manager's phone number. Proof of the noticing must be submitted to the Business License Division prior to receiving approval to shoot. For multiple unit dwellings or office buildings, proof of notification to the apartment/condominium or building manager shall be deemed sufficient.
  8. Pedestrian and vehicular access to homes and businesses may not be blocked without the prior written consent of the parties being impacted. Proof of the consent must be submitted to the Business License Division prior to receiving approval to shoot. In addition, a parking plan must be submitted to the City with information on where and how many vehicles and what type will be required to park, including optional shuttle plans as needed. Excessively large or numerous vehicles must be approved prior to the permit application being approved.
  9. The permittee may not interfere with street sweeping, refuse collection or other City activity that may be taking place in or around the filming site. Within reason, the City will attempt to accommodate the sound and access needs of the Production Company.
  10. Special permission, which the City reserves the right to withhold, is required for: A. Evening shooting (outside of 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday.) Filming in residential locations can be extended with signatures of approval from residents within a 200 foot radius of all affected film sites as follows: 51% of said residents to extend by one hour; 90% of said residents to extend to 6 a.m. and/or midnight; 100% of said residents to extend before 6 a.m. or after midnight. B. Excessive noise due to volume, duration or kind (e.g. explosions, gunfire), including that from generators. C. Pyrotechnics, flames, explosions, crashes and other similar "on location" special effects. D. Filming on any City owned property.
In general the Police, Fire and Harbor Departments (as appropriate) must be contacted for permission and/or review if any of these elements are included within the script.

  1. All production vehicles and vehicles of the cast and/or crewmembers shall be visibly identified with the name of the production company. Such identification shall be placed on the windshield or dashboard of all vehicles while on location.
  2. Film companies will be required to restore all property to its original condition and to remove all litter generated during the course of shooting prior to leaving all film locations each day.
  3. At the discretion of the City, a plot plan of the filming location (interior and exterior) and a synopsis of the film script may be required.
  4. The City reserves the right to revoke filming privileges if circumstance arise during the course of shooting which are, in the City's opinion, deleterious to the rights of its residents or businesses or is in any way too dangerous.
  5. The Police Department will suspend any filming operation not authorized by permit or when permit conditions are violated. Filming will also be suspended if any laws or ordinance are violated.
  6. For purposes of contact during filming, rehearsal, stage set-up or strike, the filming company must provide the City with the name of an on filming site company representative who can be immediately available for contact, in person or via cellular phone, telephone or pager, when filming and related activities are taking place in the City.
  7. The City of Redondo Beach is required to be included in production credits for filming on City property, including the harbor and pier areas and City streets. The City of Redondo Beach is requested to be included in production credits when filming takes place on private property, commercial or residential.
  8. For more information and/or Filming questions, please contact the Deputy Fire Marshal at (310) 318-0663 x4338.
Filming Permits Policy Web Page
What is the Safe House Program?
The Safe House Program is a home, fire station, or business where a child may go for safety or assistance when they encounter a threat or other emergency while in route to or from any elementary, middle or senior high school.  Safe House locations are marked with a distinctive yellow and white triangle placard for easy identification and located in front of each Fire Station in Redondo Beach.


Fire Station participants agree to provide assistance for children by:

  • Temporarily placing a fire department resource out of service while providing assistance;
  • Telephoning appropriate participating authorities for help;
  • Reassuring frightened, lost or endangered children;
  • Assisting children who have medical emergencies by initiating the response of emergency medical personnel;
  • Assisting children who are in immediate fear of becoming victims of any crimes or intimidation or abuse; and
  • Reporting crimes to law enforcement officials and providing descriptions of vehicles and suspects when possible.
NOTE: Safe House participants are NOT required to:

  • Provide personal necessities such as food or a place to "warm-up" or "dry-off."
  • Enforce laws or chase suspects.
  • Guarantee safety.
What is the Safe Surrender Law and does the Redondo Beach Fire Department adhere to it?
The RBFD complies with the Safe Surrender Law.

On May 6, 2003 the City Council designated all Redondo Beach Fire Stations as Safe Surrender Sites pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Section 1255.7, commonly known by the following names: Safe Surrender Law, Safe Haven Law, Newborn Abandonment Law and the Safely Surrendered Baby Law.

On June 10, 2003 the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors officially designated all Redondo Beach Fire Stations as Newborn Safe Surrender Sites.

The California Safely Surrendered Baby Law allows a person to surrender a minor infant (72 hours or younger) to any firefighter on-duty at any one of the Redondo Beach Fire Stations.  Under certain circumstances, they may do so discreetly without fear of being prosecuted for child abandonment.  Safe Surrender Signs have been placed on the front of each Fire Station

Fire Station #1 is located at:
401 S. Broadway (at Pearl Street)
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
(310) 318-0663

Fire Station #2 is located at:
2400 Grant Avenue (at Mackay Lane)
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
(310) 372-3094

Fire Station #3 is located at:
280 Marina Way (off of Harbor Drive)
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
(310) 318-0632
What should I know before putting up holiday decorations in my home or business?
The requirements listed below apply to the following occupancies: Hotels, motels, apartment buildings, boarding homes, hospitals, schools, special schools, day care facilities, department store, theatres, motion picture theatres, bars, restaurants, dance halls and all other occupancies in which the public is invited or required to pass through.

These requirements specifically address the use of decorative materials for Christmas trees, holiday season decorations or similar objects placed in lobbies or hallways, or other areas within the above mentioned occupancies.  These requirements must be complied with during the holiday season and at any other time during the year when materials are used for decoration and/or display purposes.  Each requirement will be enforced by the Redondo Beach Fire Department.


  1. All electrical lighting devices must be tested and approved by a nationally recognized laboratory; e.g. Underwriter's Laboratory.  The requirements set forth by this laboratory stating the function as "indoor" or "outdoor" equipment and the number of devices that may be connected in series.  This requirement will be strictly enforced.
  2. Overloading of electrical circuits, use of improper size electrical conductors, extension cords or electrical plug adapters is strictly prohibited.
  3. Attachment of temporary electrical wiring (such as Christmas lights, etc.) to a structure requires the use of insulated staples or insulated fasteners.  This is the only method acceptable to this Department. The 2013 Uniform Fire Code states: "The maximum time allowed for temporary wiring is 90 days."
  4. Any Christmas tree or tree product, such as wreaths, must be treated with a State Fire Marshal approved flame retardant substance.  An individual licensed by the State Fire Marshal's office must do the treatment.  This individual is also responsible for installing a State Fire Marshal approved tag describing the type of retardant substance used.  This tag must be attached at all times.
  5. Crepe paper, paper signs, decorations and display products are considered to be highly flammable materials.  Any paper product used as decoration must be treated with an approved flame retardant substance.
  6. Exit doors, aisles and corridors shall remain free of all potentially combustible materials.  This must be done to maintain a safe means of egress at all times from the building.
  7. The 2013 Uniform Fire Code states: "Electrical light bulbs in such occupancies shall not be decorated with paper or other combustible materials unless such materials have been rendered flame retardant."  The code requires that open flame or flame producing light, such as candles or oil burning lamps, may not be used in any building where combustible, highly flammable or explosive materials are kept.  The only exception is if they are properly protected in a device that has been approved for that type of occupancy and a permit is issued from the Fire Department. The Redondo Beach Fire Department recommends that any electrical or heat producing device be supervised at all times when the building is occupied and that a sufficient number of fire extinguishers capable of extinguishing both ordinary combustible fires and fires in energized electrical equipment be available.  Unsupervised equipment should be turned off.  If you have any questions, please contact the Redondo Beach Fire Department at (310) 318-0663.  Have a safe and happy holiday season.
What should the public know about home smoke detectors/alarms?
Smoke Alarms Save Lives

The majority of fatal home fires happen at night when people are asleep.  Contrary to popular belief, the smell of smoke may not wake a sleeping person.  The poisonous gases and smoke produced by a fire can numb the senses and put you into a deeper sleep.

Inexpensive household smoke alarms sound an alarm alerting you to a fire.  By giving you time to escape, smoke alarms cut your risk of dying in a home fire nearly in half.  California Fire code requires them in your home. Smoke alarms save so many lives that most states have laws requiring them in private homes.

Choosing an Alarm

Be sure that the smoke alarms you buy carry the label of an independent testing laboratory, Underwriters Laboratory (UL) for example.

Several types of alarms are available. Some run on batteries, others on household electrical current.  Some detect smoke using an "ionization" sensor, others use a "photoelectric" detection system.  All listed smoke alarms, regardless of type, will offer adequate protection provided they are installed and maintained properly.

*Carbon Monoxide Detector Requirements
The following California Building Code regulations have been adopted by the City of Redondo Beach:

California Building Code, Section 420.6 Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Carbon monoxide alarms are required in all residences containing a fuel burning appliance, or have an attached garage. These alarms shall be installed and maintained in the following areas:

  • Outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom(s). Typically, this is the hallway. 
  • On every level of a dwelling unit, including the basement.
California Building Code, Section 420.6.1.2 Power Supply

New construction requires that CO alarms receive primary power from the building wiring, and be equipped with a battery back-up. This requirement excludes the plug-in type. If your place of residence was built with this type of system, it must be maintained as such.

Dwellings that have battery only or plug in CO alarms are required to maintain these alarms in all required areas. The new standard for battery power only CO alarms is a 10 year lithium battery unit. These alarms are maintenance free, and require replacement every 10 years. 

California Building Code, Section 420.6.1.5 Multiple-Purpose Alarms

Combination carbon monoxide/smoke alarms are permitted. They must meet all requirements for each. 
Is One Enough?

Every home should have at least one smoke alarm outside of each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.  The National Fire Alarm Code, published by NFPA, requires a smoke alarm in every sleeping room for new construction.  On floors without bedrooms, alarms should be installed in or near living areas, such as dens, living rooms, or family rooms.

Be sure everyone sleeping in your home can hear your smoke alarm.  If any residents are hearing-impaired or sleep with bedroom doors closed, install additional alarms inside sleeping areas as well.  There are special smoke alarms for the hearing impaired; these flash a light in addition to sounding an audible alarm.

For extra protection, NFPA suggests installing alarms in dining rooms, furnace room, utility rooms, and hallways.  Smoke alarms are not recommended for kitchens, bathrooms, or garages where cooking fumes, steam, or exhaust fumes could set off false alarms or in attics and other unheated spaces where humidity and temperature changes might effect an alarm's operation.

Where to Install?

Because smoke rises, mount alarms high on a wall or on the ceiling.  Wall-mounted units should be mounted so that the top of the alarm is 4 to 12 inches (10 to 30 centimeters) from the ceiling.  A ceiling-mounted alarm should be attached at least 4 inches (10 centimeters) from the nearest wall.  In a room with a pitched ceiling, mount the alarm at or near the ceiling's highest point.

In stairways with no doors at the top or bottom, position smoke alarms anywhere in the path of smoke moving up the stairs.  But always position smoke alarms at the bottom of closed stairways, such as those leading from the basement, because dead air trapped near the door at the top of a stairway could prevent smoke from reaching an alarm located at the top.

Don't install a smoke alarm too near a window, door, or forced-air register where drafts could interfere with the alarm's operation.


Most battery-powered smoke alarms and alarms that plug into wall outlets can be installed using only a drill and a screwdriver, by following the manufacturer's instructions.  Plug-in alarms must have restraining devices so they cannot be unplugged by accident.  Alarms can also be hard-wired into a building's electrical system.  Hard-wired alarms should be installed by a qualified electrician.  Never connect a smoke alarm to a circuit that can be turned off from a wall switch.

False Alarms

Cooking vapors and steam sometimes set off a smoke alarm.  To correct this, try moving the alarm away from the kitchen or bathroom, or install an exhaust fan.  Cleaning your alarm regularly, according to manufacturer's instructions, may also help.

If "nuisance alarms" persist, do not disable the alarm.  Replace it.


Only a functioning smoke alarm can protect you.  Never disable an alarm by "borrowing" its battery for another use.

Following manufacturer's instructions, test all your smoke alarms monthly and install new batteries at lease once a year, when you set the clocks back in the fall, or when an alarm is "chirping" to indicate that the battery is low.  Ten-year alarms using a 10-year lithium battery are now available.

Clean your smoke alarms using a dust brush without removing the alarm's cover.  NEVER PAINT A SMOKE ALARM.

Smoke alarms don't last forever.  Replace any smoke alarm that is more than 10 years old.

Plan and Practice

  • Make sure everyone is familiar with the sound of the alarms.
  • Plan escape routes.  Know at least two ways out of each room.  Agree on a meeting place outside your home where all residents will gather after they escape.  Practice your escape plan at least twice a year.
  • Remove obstructions from doors and windows needed for escape.
  • Make sure everyone in the household can unlock doors and windows quickly, even in the dark.  Windows or doors with security bars should be equipped with quick-release devices and everyone in the household should know how to use them.
  • When an alarm sounds, leave immediately.  Go directly to your meeting place and call the fire department from a neighbor's phone.
  • Once you're out, stay out.  Never go back inside a burning building.
Information provided by the National Fire Protection Association.

The City of Redondo Beach adopted the following state laws relating to smoke detectors in residential units:

California Fire Code, Section 907.2.10.3 Smoke Alarms

Smoke alarms are required in all residences in the following areas;

  1. In each room used for sleeping purposes.
  2. Outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom(s). Typically, this is the hallway.
  3. On every level of a dwelling unit, including the basement. For split level units, a smoke alarm installed on the top level will suffice if the lower level is less than one full story below the upper level, and there is no intervening door between the two levels.
California Fire Code, Section 907.2.11.4 Power Source

New construction requires that smoke alarms receive primary power from the building wiring, and be equipped with a battery back-up. If your place of residence was built with this type of system, it must be maintained as such.

Dwellings that have battery only smoke alarms are required to maintain these alarms in all required areas. The new standard for battery power only smoke alarms is a 10 year lithium battery unit. These alarms are maintenance free, and require replacement every 10 years.

California Fire Code, Section 907.2.11.5 Specific Location Requirements

Smoke alarms shall not be installed in the following areas:

  1. Within 36in of a door or opening of a bathroom containing a bathtub or shower.
  2. Within 36in of a heating/AC supply register, and not in the direct airflow of a register.
  3. Within 20ft of a permanently installed cooking appliance.
  4. Within 36in of the tip of a ceiling fan blade.
Smoke alarms in basements shall be installed on the basement ceiling near the entry to the stairs.

California Health & Safety Code, Section 13113.7:

"Dwelling units intended for human occupancy shall have a working smoke detector installed by January 1, 1987."

Uniform Fire Code, Appendix 1A 6.1:

"Dwelling units and hotel or lodging house guest rooms that are used for sleeping purposes shall be provided with smoke detectors."

"Smoke detectors shall be installed when single family or duplex changes ownership - detectors may be battery or hard wire."

  • These detectors may be of battery type
  • Only one detector is required per dwelling unit, unless sleeping rooms are on more than one floor; in which case, each floor requires a detector
  • Detector must carry the approval of the State Fire Marshal
Uniform Building Code, Section 310.9.1.2:

Additions, alterations, or repairs to residential group occupancies exceeding $1,000.00 and requiring a permit, or when one or more sleeping rooms are added or created in existing occupancies, smoke detectors shall be installed.

  • These detectors may be battery or hard wire
  • A detector shall be installed in each sleeping room and at a point centrally located in the corridor or area giving access to each separate sleeping area
  • Detectors must carry the approval of the State Fire Marshal
In addition to the above:

The "rental" property owner has the responsibility to install and maintain smoke detectors. The smoke detectors must be operable at the time a tenant takes possession, and the tenant is responsible for notifying the manager/property owner when he or she becomes aware that the smoke detector is not working.

Any questions regarding these regulations may be forwarded to the Redondo Beach Fire Department, Bureau of Fire Prevention at: (310) 318-0663 ext. 4338.

Phone: 310-318-0663
Fax: 310-376-3407
What type of fire extinguisher should I purchase for my home and how will I know how to use it properly?

There are two types of fire extinguishers available on the market today.  They are either rechargeable or disposable and come in portable sizes. Portable extinguishers (rechargeable or disposable) for home use are not designed to fight large or spreading fires.  Even against small fires, they are useful only under certain conditions.

  • The operator must know how to use the extinguisher.  There is no time to read directions during an emergency.
  • The extinguisher must be within easy reach, in working order and fully charged.
  • The operator must have a clear escape route that will not be blocked by fire.
  • The extinguisher must match the type of fire being fought.  Extinguishers containing water are unsuitable for use on grease or electrical fires.
  • The extinguisher must be large enough to put out the fire.  Many portable extinguishers discharge completely in a few as eight to ten second.

Choosing your extinguisher:
Select only fire extinguishers that have been tested by an independent laboratory (e.g. Underwriters Laboratories) and labeled for the type and size of fire they can extinguish. Use these labels as a guide to purchase the type of extinguisher that suits your needs.  Multipurpose fire extinguishers, labeled ABC, may be used on all three classes of fire.  If you use the wrong type of extinguisher, you can endanger yourself and make the fire worse.

Classes of Fires:
Class A: Ordinary combustibles such as wood, cloth and paper.
Class B: Flammable liquids such as gasoline, oil and oil-based paints.
Class C: Energized electrical equipment which includes wiring, fuse boxes, circuit breakers, machinery and appliances.

Extinguisher Sizes:
Portable fire extinguishers are also rated for the size of fire they can handle.  This rating will appear on the label (e.g. 2A:10B:C.)  The larger the numbers, the larger the fire the extinguisher can put out, but higher-rated models are often heavier.  Make sure you can hold and operate the extinguisher before you purchase it.

Installation and Maintenance:
Fire extinguishers should be installed in plain view, above the reach of children, near an escape route and away from stoves and heating appliances.

Fire extinguishers require routine maintenance.  Read your operator's manual to learn how to inspect and maintain the extinguisher.

Rechargeable extinguishers must be serviced after every use, while disposable extinguishers can be used only once and must be replaced after use. 

Remember the PASS-word:

Pull the pin: This unlocks the lever and allows you to discharge the extinguisher.

Aim low: Point the extinguisher nozzle (or hose) at the base of the fire.

Squeeze the lever above the handle: This discharges the extinguishing agent.  Releasing the lever will stop the discharge.

Sweep from side to side: Moving carefully toward the fire, keep the extinguisher aimed at the base of the fire and sweep side to side until the flames are extinguished.  Watch the fire area.  If the fire reignites, repeat the process.

Even if you think you've extinguished the fire, always be sure to call the fire department to inspect the fire site.

*If you have an apartment building or greater than 3 or more units on your lot, restrictions apply. Call the Deputy Fire Marshall at (310) 318-0663 x4338.

Where can I get information on how to properly install a Child Safety Seat?
Log onto www.nhtsa.dot.gov for up to date information on this very important subject or call California Highway Patrol (310) 516-3355 to schedule a car seat installation. The fire department does not install car seats. 
Where can Redondo Beach residents dispose of hazardous materials?
Please visit Public Works' Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) & Universal Waste Disposal page for information on HHW disposal. Medications, needles/sharps are not accepted at the Fire Department. For disposal information, visit the DEA website.
Who do I call to report a leaking hydrant?
To report a leaking hydrant, please contact the California Water Service Company at (310) 257-1400 or visit their website: https://www.calwater.com/contact-us/.
Who should we call to service our fire alarm system?
The Fire Department requires business owners, property managers or property owners to contact Fire protection companies to maintain or repair fire protection systems.  These systems include fire sprinklers, standpipes, fire alarm systems or special extinguisher systems.

When contacting Fire Protection Companies
  • Confirm and have them provide copies of the following licenses:
    • C-10 or C-16 License (based on the type of work) from the California Contractors State Licensing Board
    • www.cslb.ca.gov
    • Business license for the City of Redondo Beach
  • Picture I.D. from the California State Fire Marshal’s office.
  • Make an appointment with the Fire Protection Company.  Any company who you have not done business with before or who you have not made an appointment with should not be allowed on the property. 
  • Get more than one opinion or quote.  Make sure you get a written proposal prior to any work being done to your equipment/ system.  Confirm all aspects of the work including the evaluation, inspection, hourly rate and parts are included in their proposal.
  • Prior to calling any fire protection companies for work, check with the Better Business Bureau and the state contractors licensing board for complaints against those companies.
  • Upon completion, request that the contractor leave all of the old parts they have replaced and billed you for. 
Redondo Beach Fire Department Facts:

  1. The Fire Department conducts annual Fire Life Safety and Business License inspections at every business address in Redondo Beach.
  2. These inspections are conducted by one of two groups of Fire Department personnel: Fire Suppression personnel from the fire stations or fire prevention personnel from Fire Administration.
  3. Fire Department personnel are always in an official fire department uniform with Redondo Beach Fire Department badges and photo I.D. card.
  4. Fire Department personnel DO NOT service fire protection equipment, i.e. fire extinguishers.
  5. Fire Department personnel DO NOT ask for any money.
If at any time you are concerned about individuals representing themselves as Fire Department personnel, please call Fire Administration at (310) 318-0663.

What is the Fire Department checking when they inspect your business?
These regulations are generic for all businesses and only cover the very basics of a fire inspection.

  1. Every business must have access to a fire extinguisher within 75’ from any point in the building.
  2. Fire Extinguishers must be inspected annually and serviced every 6 years.
  3. Kitchen hood systems must be serviced semi-annually (every 6 months).
  4. Electrical panels must be clear of storage, accessible, and have no void spaces.
  5. Exit doors must be operable and free of storage.
Note:  Fire Protection equipment must be serviced by a private, state licensed company.  The company will place a tag on the equipment with the date of service noted if the system is found to be in compliance.
Filming Policy
Please review the Filming Policy prior to submitting your application for Filming.

Please attach the application along with your certificate of insurance and a map of where you will be filming and parking. If you are filming within a business, please also include the contract from that location that gives you permission to film at their location.

Student films are exempt from fees and must include the following with the application:

    1. Student ID copy

    2. Letter on school letterhead stating your intent to film

    3. COI from your school.

For questions, please contact the Fire Prevention Officer at 310-318-0663 ext. 4338 or email RBFDPrevention@Redondo.org

border image